As I was walking home after taking her to school, I felt thankful that I know her face so well, I can tell immediately when something is even the slightest bit different. This is true with both my daughters and with pretty much their whole bodies. I know every square inch of them. I know when they get a new freckle or mole. I recognize any new bruises, scrapes or bumps. I haven't necessarily tried to become this familiar with them. It's come from years of changing diapers, bathing them, helping change in and out of clothes, etc. Each time I look at them, I memorize them without even realizing it. Because I'm their mother. Because I love them as only a mother could.
So thinking about this on my walk home, I thought, "How much more does the Father know me?" How can I fully grasp that while I'm on this earth? I don't think I can. But I do know that not only does He know me outwardly, He knows me inwardly. The New Testament is full of verse after verse with words that tell us that only God knows our hearts. He knows my every thought, every emotion, every hair. I find so much comfort in this. The book of Psalm 139 says it best:
"O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD."
I sometimes struggle with the thought that there isn't anyone who truly knows me - my thoughts, my motivations, good or bad. But He does, and that brings me peace.
Sovereign Lord, I do praise you that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. And so are my daughters. Thank You for choosing them to be my daughters and thank You for choosing me to be Yours.

No comments:
Post a Comment