"Among the world's most treasured gifts, among it's most precious pearls, God smiles upon the earth, and gives us little girls. "



Thursday, November 08, 2012

My Architect

*Here is a little disclaimer about this post.  I actually wrote the bulk of it several weeks ago but needed to add a few finishing touches before posting it, and consequently it has been sitting in my draft folder ever since then.  Last week I read an article about why speaking well of your spouse is so important.  This is something I do try to do but admittedly am not great at. I don't bash him (at least I don't think) but I tend to do all my edifying in private. However, the point of the article was really about why it's important to speak well of your spouse publicly. That publicly part is what I find difficult.  Not that I don't have good things to say about my spouse.  But there are times when it seems those I know that do, are trying to overcompensate for something and it just comes off forced.  A judgemental thought, I know. But I guess there is a fear that if I'm boasting about how great my man is, then it will come off the same way. The truth is, it's not up to me to decide what the motivation is of others. I just need to worry about my own motivations and do what I'm convicted by the Spirit to do.  And so, this post has morphed a little from it's original intent, but that's okay.  Bottom line is I did catch a great one in Robert and here's some of the proof...
 
 
On Thursday, September 13, we got to celebrate a very momentous occasion in the Reed Family.  Our family and closest friends came together to celebrate Robert becoming a registered architect.
 
This was a goal Robert has been working to achieve for many years, and so deserved a proper celebration.
 
In case you are unaware of all that he had to do to become registered, here's the gist of it:  
 
Two college degrees: Bachelor of Environmental Design and Master of Architecture
Hundreds of required internship hours
Eight licensing exams totaling over 30 hours of test taking (which does not include time spent studying!)
 
Also, while he was undertaking all of this, he got married, had three children, worked a total of 19 months as interim worship pastor at our church, and began building a 400 sq ft addition onto our home!
 
 
It was so nice of everyone (minus a few due to sickness and distance) to come celebrate this huge accomplishment in Robert's life.  Even both of Robert's bosses came to help celebrate. 


SURPRISE! The party was not a surprise, but this New iPad was! A special thanks to Amy, David and Carol, Lindsey and Brandon, Janna, Sammy and Susan, Scott and Heather, and Shannon and Lorenzo for all chipping in to get him such a special gift.  This is something he never would have purchased on his own and he was so excited to receive such a gift!
 
During the party, Sammy, my dad, and Robert's boss Jim Rhotenberry, made some toasts to Robert.  Sammy began with some very sweet words and also asked if anyone wanted to say something.  I did in fact want to speak, but I guess nerves got the best of me.  However, here is what I should have said...
 
Two of my favorite qualities in a person are humility and authenticity.  These two things are a couple of the very things that I first loved about Robert.  All these years later, he is still one of the most humble persons I know.
 
He's a very creative and intelligent person, as well as gifted musically.  But you wouldn't know either of these things because he boasts about them, you have to see them in action.
 
He has been involved in at least four state and nationally award winning architectural projects and therefore has been recognized in state and national architecture magazines. But again, I only know that because I'm married to him, not because he's the least bit vocal about it.
 
Even when he found out he passed his final licensing exam, after a few days I asked if he told either of his bosses.  "Nope," came the reply.  Then another day passed and I asked if he'd told either of his parents.  His reply this time was, "You're the only one I've told."  So, I took it upon myself to enlighten them. :)
 
I am super proud of this guy for accomplishing something very few people can say they've accomplished. There are only a little over 104,000 registered architects in the entire U.S.  With a population of 311 million people, I'd say that's pretty impressive.  But, I know I'm biased!
 
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there are plenty of reasons for which Robert could speak of his own accomplishments.  But that couldn't be more counter to who he is and so, he never does. Which is one of the many reasons I'm so crazy about him!
 
Way to go Robert!  I'm so proud of who you are and what you're about. Congratulations on such a major accomplishment! Loves to you :) 
 

No comments: